The Changing Earth: Exploring Geology and Evolution, 7th Edition
- James S. Monroe
- Reed Wicander
- ISBN-10: 128573341X
- ISBN-13: 9781285733418
- 736 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2012, 2009, 2006
- COPYRIGHT: 2015 Published
THE CHANGING EARTH: EXPLORING GEOLOGY AND EVOLUTION, Seventh Edition, is written specifically for courses covering both physical and historical geology. Three interrelated themes (plate tectonics, organic evolution, and geologic time) help students understand that Earth is a complex, integrated, and continually changing system. In the new edition authors James S. Monroe and Reed Wicander integrate content emphasizing the economic impacts of geology. Topics such as fracking, nuclear waste, and the threat of earthquakes are covered in new Geo-Impact boxes that stress real-world applications. Lauded for their clear writing style, the authors go beyond simply explaining geology and its processes; rather, they place that knowledge within the context of human experience by consistently emphasizing relevance, resources, and the environment. New Global Geoscience Watch activities help students learn how to use an extensive database of articles on geology that are updated several times a day and are available exclusively for users of this book.
1. Understanding Earth: A Dynamic and Evolving Planet.
2. Plate Tectonics: A Unifying Theory.
3. Minerals—The Building Blocks of Rocks.
4. Igneous Rocks and Plutons.
5. Volcanoes and Volcanism.
6. Weathering, Erosion, and Soil.
7. Sediment and Sedimentary Rocks.
8. Metamorphism and Metamorphic Rocks.
9. Earthquakes and Earth's Interior.
10. Deformation, Mountain Building, and Earth's Crust.
11. Mass Wasting.
12. Running Water—Streams and Rivers.
14. Glaciers and Glaciation.
15. The Work of Wind and Deserts.
16. Oceans, Shorelines, and Shoreline Processes.
17. Geologic Time: Concepts and Principles.
18. Organic Evolution—The Theory and Its Supporting Evidence.
19. Precambrian Earth and Life History.
20. Paleozoic Earth History.
21. Paleozoic Life History.
22. Mesozoic Earth and Life History.
23. Cenozoic Earth and Life History.
24. Geology in Perspective.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; create multiple test versions in an instant; and delivers tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access (ISBN-10: 1285776259 | ISBN-13: 9781285776255)
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes—online with CourseMate.