Management of Human Service Programs, 5th Edition
- Judith A. Lewis
- Thomas R. Packard
- Michael D. Lewis
- ISBN-10: 084003427X
- ISBN-13: 9780840034274
- 320 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2007, 2001, 1991
- COPYRIGHT: 2012 Published
This book introduces students to the theory and practice of managerial and leadership functions, with a practical approach that provides important guidelines for working within agencies. The authors address important topics germane to management and administration, including evidence-based and empirically supported practice, challenges of management, environments of human service agencies, program design, organizational theory and design, human resources, supervisory relationships, finances, information systems, program evaluation, organizational change, leadership, and achieving and maintaining organizational excellence. To help illustrate specific issues, the authors have included case examples throughout the text. In addition, a new running case set at the Grandview Community Center helps students see each issue more clearly because it takes place against the backdrop of a single setting. Reflection questions encourage students to consider how they would handle the scenario.
1. Facing the Challenges of Management.
2. The Environments of Human Service Organizations.
3. Planning and Program Design.
4. Organizational Theory for Human Service Organizations.
5. Organization Design.
6. Developing and Managing Human Resources.
7. Building Supervisory Relationships.
8. Managing Finances to Meet Program Goals.
9. Designing and Using Information Systems.
10. Evaluating Human Service Programs.
11. Leading and Changing Human Service Organizations.
12. Achieving and Maintaining Organizational Excellence.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
This Instructor’s Manual, available electronically via the companion website (www.academic.cengage.com/counseling/lewis) contains helpful tools to make preparing your courses easier. The Instructor’s Manual includes discussion questions, activities, and teaching goals for each chapter.