The Brief American Pageant: A History of the Republic, 9th Edition
- David M. Kennedy
- Lizabeth Cohen
- Mel Piehl
- ISBN-10: 1285193296
- ISBN-13: 9781285193298
- 832 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2012, 2008, 2004
- COPYRIGHT: 2017 Published
THE BRIEF AMERICAN PAGEANT presents a concise and vivid chronological narrative, focusing on the central themes and great public debates that have dominated American history. Colorful anecdotes, first-person quotations, and the text’s trademark wit are all evident throughout. The strong historical narrative is highlighted by focus questions, chapter outlines and summaries, marginal glossaries, and special features such as “Makers of America”, “Examining the Evidence”, and “Thinking Globally”. Links to additional online study aids ensure that students understand and retain the material as they read and prepare for exams. Available in the following split options: Volume I: To 1877 (Chapters 1–22), ISBN: 9781285193304; Volume II: Since 1865 (Chapters 22–41), ISBN: 9781285193311.
Part I: FOUNDING THE NEW NATION ca. 33,000 B.C.E.–1783 C.E.
1. New World Beginnings 33,000 B.C.E.–1769 C.E.
2. The Planting of English America 1500–1733.
3. Settling the Northern Colonies 1619–1700.
4. American Life in the Seventeenth Century 1607–1692.
5. Colonial Society on the Eve of Revolution 1700–1775.
6. The Duel for North America 1608–1763.
7. The Road to Revolution 1763–1775.
8. America Secedes from the Empire 1775–1783.
Part II: BUILDING THE NEW NATION 1776-1860.
9. The Confederation and the Constitution 1776–1790.
10. Launching the New Ship of State 1789–1800.
11. The Triumphs and Travails of the Jeffersonian Republic 1800–1812.
12. The Second War for Independence and the Upsurge of Nationalism 1812–1824.
13. The Rise of a Mass Democracy 1824–1840.
14. Forging the National Economy 1790–1860.
15. The Ferment of Reform and Culture 1790–1860.
Part III: TESTING THE NEW NATION 1820–1877.
16. The South and the Slavery Controversy 1793–1860.
17. Manifest Destiny and Its Legacy 1841–1848.
18. Renewing the Sectional Struggle 1848–1854.
19. Drifting Toward Disunion 1854–1861.
20. Girding for War: The North and the South 1861–1865.
21. The Furnace of Civil War 1861–1865.
22. The Ordeal of Reconstruction 1865–1877.
Part IV: FORGING AN INDUSTRIAL SOCIETY 1865–1909.
23. Political Paralysis in the Gilded Age 1869–1896.
24. Industry Comes of Age 1865–1900.
25. America Moves to the City 1865–1900.
26. The Great West and the Agricultural Revolution 1865–1896.
27. Empire and Expansion 1890–1909.
Part V: STRUGGLING FOR JUSTICE AT HOME AND ABROAD 1901–1945.
28. Progressivism and the Republican Roosevelt 1901–1912.
29. Wilsonian Progressivism in Peace and War 1913–1920.
30. American Life in the “Roaring Twenties” 1920–1929.
31. The Politics of Boom and Bust 1920–1932.
32. The Great Depression and the New Deal 1933–1939.
33. Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Shadow of War 1933–1941.
34. America in World War II 1941–1945.
Part VI: MAKING MODERN AMERICA 1945 TO THE PRESENT.
35. The Cold War Begins 1945–1952.
36. American Zenith 1952–1963.
37. The Stormy Sixties 1963–1973.
38. Challenges to the Postwar Order 1973–1980.
39. The Resurgence of Conservatism 1980–1992.
40. America Confronts the Post-Cold War Era 1992–2000.
41. The American People Face a New Century 2001–2014.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.MindTap History, 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access for Kennedy/Cohen/Piehl's The Brief American Pageant: A History of the Republic (ISBN-10: 1305669436 | ISBN-13: 9781305669437)
MindTap History for Kennedy/Cohen/Piehl’s The Brief American Pageant, 9th Edition is the digital learning solution that powers students from memorization to mastery. It gives you complete control of your course—to provide engaging content, to challenge every individual, and to build their confidence. Empower students to accelerate their progress with MindTap. MindTap: Powered by You. MindTap goes beyond an eBook and homework solution. Students easily identify chapter’s learning objectives, improve writing skills with unit-level essay assessments, read short sections from the e-book, and test their knowledge. In addition to book-specific content, MindTap’s Instructor’s Resource Center provides 4,600 searchable, curated primary source readings for your course. Engaging assignments and primary source documentation inspire critical thinking.
MindTap History for Kennedy/Cohen/Piehl’s The Brief American Pageant, 9th Edition helps you learn on your terms. INSTANT ACCESS IN YOUR POCKET. Take advantage of the MindTap Mobile App. Read or listen to the text and study with the aid of instructor notifications, flashcards, and practice quizzes. MINDTAP HELPS YOU GEAR UP FOR ULTIMATE SUCCESS. Track your scores and stay motivated toward your goals. Whether you have more work to do or are ahead of the curve, you’ll know where you need to focus your efforts. You stay engaged with real-world assignments, such as reflection activities and the essay and People to Know unit activities that make connections across chapters. MINDTAP HELPS YOU MAKE THE TEXTBOOK YOURS. No one knows what works for you better than you. Highlight key text, add notes, and create custom flashcards that can be gathered into a study guide.