Essentials of Human Development: A Life-Span View, 1st Edition
- Robert V. Kail
- John C. Cavanaugh
- ISBN-10: 1133943446
- ISBN-13: 9781133943440
- 584 Pages | Paperback
- COPYRIGHT: 2014 Published
ESSENTIALS OF HUMAN DEVELOPMENT: A LIFE-SPAN VIEW fills the need for a shorter text that emphasizes the essential, defining features of modern research and theory in human development. Using a modified chronological approach and emphasizing the biopsychosocial framework, the text provides: a streamlined, readable account of human development across the life span; conceptual foundations that enable students to become educated and critical interpreters of developmental information; and an introduction to relevant research and its application to important issues in life-span development. Among the most important aspects of this book is its integration of pedagogical features, designed to help students maximize their learning. In addition, the text emphasizes the application of human development research across diverse professional settings, making it ideal for students who are pursuing a career related not just to psychology but to other areas, such as education, health, and human sciences--be it as a nurse, physician, educator, psychologist, social worker, speech-language therapist, or others. These students are often particularly eager to see how human development research can allow them to work more effectively with future patients, students, or clients, and ESSENTIALS OF HUMAN DEVELOPMENT answers the call. Succinct and filled with real-life examples, this text will capture your students' interest while introducing them to the essential issues, forces, and outcomes that make us who we are. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
1. The Study of Human Development.
Part I: PRENATAL DEVELOPMENT, INFANCY, AND EARLY CHILDHOOD.
2. Biological Foundations: Heredity, Prenatal Development, and Birth.
3. Tools for Exploring the World: Physical, Perceptual, and Motor Development in Infancy and Early Childhood.
4. The Emergence of Thought and Language: Cognitive Development in Infancy and Early Childhood.
5. Entering the Social World: Socioemotional Development in Infancy and Early Childhood.
Part II: SCHOOL-AGE CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS.
6. Off to School: Cognitive and Physical Development in Middle Childhood.
7. Expanding Social Horizons: Socioemotional Development in Middle Childhood.
8. Rites of Passage: Physical and Cognitive Development in Adolescence.
9. Moving into the Adult Social World: Socioemotional Development in Adolescence.
Part III: YOUNG AND MIDDLE ADULTHOOD.
10. Becoming an Adult: Physical, Cognitive and Personality Development in Early Adulthood.
11. Being With Others: Forming Relationships in Young and Middle Adulthood.
12. Work: Occupational and Lifestyle Issues in Young and Middle Adulthood.
13. Making It in Midlife: The Unique Challenges of Middle Adulthood.
Part IV: LATE ADULTHOOD.
14. The Personal Context of Later Life: Physical, Cognitive, and Mental Health Issues.
15. Social Aspects of Later Life: Psycho-social, Retirement, Relationship, and Societal Issues.
16. The Final Passage: Dying and Bereavement.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
Simplify testing and assessment with this selection of multiple-choice, true/false, completion, and essay questions.Instructor's Resource Manual (ISBN-10: 1285417399 | ISBN-13: 9781285417394)
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using resources including chapter outlines, lecture topics, student activities, handouts, and more!PowerLecture with ExamView® (ISBN-10: 1285417410 | ISBN-13: 9781285417417)
The fastest, easiest way to build powerful, customized media-rich lectures, PowerLecture™ provides a collection of book-specific PowerPoint® lecture and class tools to enhance the educational experience.CourseMate Instant Access (ISBN-10: 1285417445 | ISBN-13: 9781285417448)
Attention CourseMate user: Cengage support for existing users of CourseMate will end of 8/1/2020.LMS Integrated for CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Printed Access Card (ISBN-10: 1285737954 | ISBN-13: 9781285737959)
ABC videos feature short, high-interest clips about current studies and research in Psychology. These videos are perfect for discussion starters or to enrich lectures. Some topics include: Infant Mental Health, Fathers and Autism, Foster Care, Childhood Eating, Premature Puberty
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access an integrated eBook, learning tools including flashcards, quizzes, and more, all designed specifically to work with ESSENTIALS OF HUMAN DEVELOPMENT: A LIFE-SPAN VIEW, 1st Edition.LMS Integrated for CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Printed Access Card (ISBN-10: 1285737954 | ISBN-13: 9781285737959)