A Biography of the English Language, 3rd Edition
- C.M. Millward
- Mary Hayes
- ISBN-10: 0495906417
- ISBN-13: 9780495906414
- 496 Pages | Hardcover
- Previous Editions: 1996
- COPYRIGHT: 2012 Published
The third edition of A BIOGRAPHY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE continues to examine the structure of language. The textbook discusses three important issues: languages and language change are systematic; the inner history of a language is profoundly affected by its outer history of political and culural events; and the English of the past has everywhere left its traces on present-day English. By uncovering the language’s past, one can better communicate with it.
4. Language Families and Indo-European Languages.
5. Old English (AD 450 - 1100).
6. Middle English (1100 - 1500).
7. Early Modern English (1500 - 1800).
8. Present-Day English (1800 - ).
9. English Around the World.