Modern Food Service Purchasing: Business Essentials to Procurement, 1st Edition
- Robert B. Garlough
- ISBN-10: 1418039640
- ISBN-13: 9781418039646
- 864 Pages | Hardcover
- COPYRIGHT: 2011 Published
MODERN FOOD SERVICE PURCHASING is designed specifically to provide culinary arts professionals with current, in-depth coverage of the essential concepts of purchasing, storeroom operations, and financial stewardship. This comprehensive resource brings together under one cover the four fundamentals of contemporary food service purchasing: Market and distribution systems Storeroom operations Cost controls Product information Delivering a chef-focused overview of financial management and the formulas used to control a successful business, Modern Food Service Purchasing explains in detail how to set up a successful storeroom operation while providing chefs and buyers with a comprehensive reference that will deliver value for years to come. Extensive color photography, useful charts and forms, and a comprehensive glossary of key terms round out the coverage.
Part I. Procurement: Dynamics of Food Service Purchasing.
1. The Purchasing Function: An Overview.
2. Food Laws and the Market and Distribution Systems.
3. Practical Considerations for Buying Decisions
4. Modern Applications of Food Science.
Part II. Purchasing Management: Mastering the Storeroom.
5. Measuring and Packaging for Preservation, Sale, and Distribution.
6. The Ingredient Process.
7. The Physical Storeroom.
8. Receiving, Storing, and Issuing.
9. Cost Control Measures for Food Service Operations.
10. Security Issues with Vendors, Employees and Customers.
Part III. The Commodities: Developing Product Knowledge.
11. Herbs, Spices, Minerals, and Flavoring Agents.
12. Bakery Supplies.
13. Meats and Offal.
14. Poultry and Game.
15. Fish and Shellfish.
18. Eggs, Dairy, and Cheese.
19. Vegetarian and Special Dietary Products.
21. Postscript: Futurist Thoughts on Food Service
Appendix A. Financial and Cost Control Formulas.
Appendix B. Standard Measurement Conversions.
Appendix C. Approximate Ingredient Volume to Weight Equivalents.
Appendix D. Management Checklists.
Appendix E. Cost Control Forms.
Appendix F. Food Service Industry Resources.
Appendix G. State Alcohol Control Boards.
Appendix H. Hospitality Professional Organizations.
Appendix I. Commodity Organizations.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
The Instructor Resources CD-ROM is an instructor resource which includes PowerPoint presentations for each core textbook chapter, computerized test bank, Instructor’s Manual, electronic forms for classroom activities, and image library.