The Road to the White House 2016 Prepack with Appendix, 10th Edition
- Stephen J. Wayne
- ISBN-10: 1285865227
- ISBN-13: 9781285865225
- 32 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2012, 2008, 2008
- COPYRIGHT: 2017 Published
THE ROAD TO THE WHITE HOUSE 2016 discusses the legal, political, and financial framework in which the presidential election occurs; the process by which the parties nominate their standard bearers and position themselves for the general election; the strategies, tactics, and operations of the presidential campaigns; the news media’s role; and the attitudes, opinions, and decisions of the voters and what those decisions augur for policy and government once the election is over. This edition emphasizes the changes that have revolutionized electoral politics in recent years, including the flood of money to and from Super PACs, instantaneous communications, digital campaigning, and microtargeting messaging. It also offers updates and insights on topics pertinent to every presidential election, such as the nomination and Electoral College systems, news coverage, television debates, political commercials, partisan appeals, voting patterns, and election forecasts, polls, and analysis.
Part I: THE ELECTORAL ARENA.
1. Presidential Selection: A Historical Overview.
2. Campaign Finance.
3. The Political Environment.
Part II: THE NOMINATION.
4. Party Rules and Their Impact: The Legal Environment.
5. Campaigning for the Nomination.
6. The Post-Primary, Election Campaign.
Part III: THE GENERAL ELECTION.
7. Strategy, Tactics, and Operations.
8. Media Politics.
Part IV: THE ELECTION.
9. Understanding Presidential Elections.
10. Reforming the Electoral System.
Results of Presidential Elections, 1900–2012.