The Pocket Cengage Handbook with 2019 APA Updates, 7th Edition
- Laurie G. Kirszner
- Stephen R. Mandell
- ISBN-10: 1337279935
- ISBN-13: 9781337279932
- 448 Pages | Spiralbound
- Previous Editions: 2017, 2015, 2012
- COPYRIGHT: 2017 Published
This seventh edition of THE POCKET CENGAGE HANDBOOK provides up-to-date, realistic advice for today's digital-age students. Instructors and students alike will find it clearly written, thorough, easy to navigate, and indispensable for use in college courses and beyond. As the authors of several composition handbooks, Kirszner and Mandell are consistently praised for their instinct for teaching, clarity, and student-friendliness, successfully bringing their student-centered approach to their discussion of writing. This edition has been updated to reflect guidelines from the 2016 MLA Handbook, Eighth Edition.
"I like [how the book addresses] common assignments. I am also a fan of the rhetorical component."
— Christine Barr, Lone Star College, University Park
How to Use This Book.
Part I: APPROACHING TEXTS.
1. Reading to Write.
2. Understanding the Rhetorical Situation.
3. Developing Essay Projects.
4. Writing an Argumentative Essay.
Part II: CONDUCTING RESEARCH.
5. Developing a Research Project.
6. Finding Information.
7. Evaluating Sources.
8. Integrating Source Material into Your Writing.
9. Using Sources Ethically.
Part III: DOCUMENTING SOURCES.
10. MLA Documentation Style.
11. APA Documentation Style.
12. Chicago Documentation Style.
13. CSE and Other Documentation Styles.
Part IV: WRITING GRAMMATICAL SENTENCES.
14. Revising Run-Ons.
15. Revising Fragments.
16. Understanding Agreement.
17. Using Verbs.
18. Using Pronouns.
19. Using Adjectives and Adverbs.
Part V: WRITING EFFECTIVE PARAGRAPHS AND SENTENCES.
20. Writing Effective Paragraphs.
21. Writing Varied Sentences.
22. Writing Concise Sentences.
23. Revising Awkward or Confusing Sentences.
24. Using Parallelism.
25. Placing Modifiers Carefully.
26. Choosing Words.
Part VI: UNDERSTANDING PUNCTUATION.
27. Using End Punctuation.
28. Using Commas.
29. Using Semicolons.
30. Using Apostrophes.
31. Using Quotation Marks.
32. Using Other Punctuation Marks.
Part VII: UNDERSTANDING SPELLING AND MECHANICS.
33. Becoming a Better Speller.
34. Knowing When to Capitalize.
35. Using Italics.
36. Using Hyphens.
37. Using Abbreviations.
38. Using Numbers.
Part VIII: COMPOSING IN VARIOUS GENRES.
39. Designing Effective Documents.
40. Composing in Digital Environments.
41. Writing in the Workplace.
42. Developing and Delivering Presentations.
43. Composing in the Disciplines.
Part IX: COMPOSING FOR MULTILINGUAL WRITERS.
44. Grammar and Style for Multilingual Writers.
Appendix A: Grammar Review.
Appendix B: Usage Review.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
For additional instructor support materials, go to login.cengage.com. The instructor's manual provides teaching suggestions, suggested answers to exercises, and a sample course syllabus to assist instructors in teaching the course.