Language: Its Structure and Use, 6th Edition
- Edward Finegan
- ISBN-10: 0495900419
- ISBN-13: 9780495900412
- 592 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2008, 2004, 1999
- COPYRIGHT: 2012 Published
LANGUAGE: ITS STRUCTURE AND USE is one of the best-selling introductory linguistics textbooks because it treats language as both a system (structure) and a social tool (use) - an approach that serves students in many disciplines, especially linguistics, English, speech communications, and education. Features such as “What Do You Think” and “Try It Yourself” prompt students to consider language in daily life and to begin thinking about analysis of language. The variety of exercises is suitable for many purposes, including a section in every chapter “Especially for Educators and Future Teachers.” Based on sound scholarship and framed in a clear, friendly presentation, LANGUAGE: ITS STRUCTURE AND USE, Sixth Edition, helps students understand the uniquely human trait of language.
“Clear explanations, excellent charts, excellent exercises-- All sections are theoretically sophisticated yet approachable for beginning undergraduates.”
— Christopher D. Sapp, University of Mississippi
1. Languages and Linguistics.
Part I: LANGUAGE STRUCTURES.
2. Words and Their Parts: Lexicon and Morphology.
3. The Sounds of Languages: Phonetics.
4. Sound Systems of Language: Phonology.
5. The Structure and Function of Phrases and Sentences: Syntax.
6. The Study of Meaning: Semantics.
7. Language Universals and Language Typology.
Part II: LANGUAGE USE.
8. Information Structure and Pragmatics.
9. Speech Acts and Conversation.
10. Language Variation across Situations of Use: Registers and Styles.
11. Language Variation among Social Groups: Dialects.
Part III: LANGUAGE CHANGE, LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT, AND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION.
12. Language Change over Time: Historical Linguistics.
13. Historical Development in English.
14. Acquiring First and Second Languages.
Answers to Exercises for Practice.
Index of Languages.
Index of Internet Sites.
Index of Videos.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning’s Linguistics CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Linguistics CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need! Learn more at www.cengage.com/coursemate.Workbook Answer Key for Looking at Languages: A Workbook in Elementary Linguistics (ISBN-10: 1111348065 | ISBN-13: 9781111348069)
This resource provides the answers to exercises in Frommer and Finegan’s LOOKING AT LANGUAGES student workbook.Answer Key (ISBN-10: 049591200X | ISBN-13: 9780495912002)
This resource provides the answers for the exercises in the textbook.
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes--online with Linguistics CourseMate.