Societies, Networks, and Transitions, Volume I: To 1500: A Global History, 3rd Edition
- Craig A. Lockard
- ISBN-10: 1285783085
- ISBN-13: 9781285783086
- 560 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2011, 2008
- COPYRIGHT: 2015 Published
SOCIETIES, NETWORKS, AND TRANSITIONS connects the different regions of the world within and across chapters, and explores broader global themes in part-opening essays. This innovative structure combines the accessibility of a regional approach with the rigor of comparative scholarship to show students world history in a truly global framework. The “tree, tree, tree, forest” organization assures that students stay engaged and in tune with when and where they are in their study of world history. The text also features a strong focus on culture and religion. Author and veteran teacher Craig Lockard engages students with a unique approach to cultural artifacts, such as music and art. Pedagogical features-including chapter outlines with focus questions, section summaries, pronunciation guides, and marginal key term definitions-support students and instructors as they explore the interconnectedness of different people, places, and periods in the global past. The Third Edition has been extensively revised to sharpen the narrative and incorporate recent scholarship. Available in the following split options: SOCIETIES, NETWORKS, AND TRANSITIONS, Third Edition (Chapters 1–31), ISBN: 9781285783123; Volume I: To 1500 (Chapters 1–14), ISBN 9781285783086; Volume II: Since 1450 (Chapters 15–31), ISBN 9781285733852.
Part I: SOCIETIES, NETWORKS, TRANSITIONS: ANCIENT FOUNDATIONS OF WORLD HISTORY, TO 600 B.C.E.
1. The Origins of Human Societies, to ca. 2000 B.C.E.
2. Ancient Societies in Mesopotamia, India, and Central Asia, 5000–600 B.C.E.
3. Ancient Societies in Africa and the Mediterranean, 5000–600 B.C.E.
4. Around the Pacific Rim: Eastern Eurasia and the Americas, 5000–600 B.C.E.
Part II: SOCIETIES, NETWORKS, TRANSITIONS: THE CLASSICAL SOCIETIES AND THEIR LEGACIES, 600 B.C.E.– 600 C.E.
5. Classical Societies in Southern and Central Asia, 600 B.C.E.– 600 C.E.
6. Eurasian Connections and New Traditions in East Asia, 600 B.C.E.– 600 C.E.
7. Western Asia, the Eastern Mediterranean, and Regional Systems, 600–200 B.C.E.
8. Empires, Networks, and the Remaking of Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia, 500 B.C.E.– 600 C.E.
9. Classical Societies and Regional Networks in Africa, the Americas, and Oceania, 600 B.C.E.–600 C.E.
Part III: SOCIETIES, NETWORKS, TRANSITIONS: ENCOUNTERS AND TRANSFORMATIONS IN THE INTERMEDIATE ERA, 600 B.C.E.– 600 C.E.
10. The Rise, Power, and Connections of the Islamic World, 600–1500.
11. East Asian Traditions, Transformations, and Eurasian Encounters, 600–1500.
12. Expanding Horizons in Africa and the Americas, 600–1500.
13. South Asia, Central Asia, Southeast Asia, and Afro-Eurasian Connections, 600–1500.
14. Christian Societies in Medieval Europe, Byzantium, and Russia, 600–1500.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
This website for instructors features an Instructor's Resource Manual (instructional objectives, chapter outlines, lecture suggestions, discussion topics, primary source analysis, and suggested writing assignments) and PowerPoint® presentations (lecture outlines, images, and maps).Cengage Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access (ISBN-10: 1285980077 | ISBN-13: 9781285980072)
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your learning management system, your classroom, or wherever you want! Additionally, the following format types are available for download from the Instructor Companion Site: Blackboard, Angel, Moodle, Canvas, Desire2Learn, and PDF. You can import these files directly into your LMS to edit, manage questions, and create tests.CourseMate Instant Access (ISBN-10: 128577311X | ISBN-13: 9781285773117)
Cengage Learning's History CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study tools, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Use Engagement Tracker to monitor student engagement in the course and watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website through quizzes, essay questions, focus questions, map exercises, and profile activities. An interactive eBook allows students to take notes, highlight, search, and interact with embedded media (such as maps, primary sources, and videos). Learn more at www.cengage.com/coursemate.Cengage Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access (ISBN-10: 1305578074 | ISBN-13: 9781305578074)
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, in your classroom or through CengageNOW.
This website provides a variety of resources to help you review for class. These study tools include chapter outlines, glossaries, flashcards, and learning objectives.CourseMate Instant Access (ISBN-10: 128577311X | ISBN-13: 9781285773117)
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards and learning objectives, watch videos, read primary sources, and take practice quizzes--online with CourseMate.