Start and Grow an Effective Non-Profit Organization, 1st Edition
- Lyn Scott
- ISBN-10: 143546012X
- ISBN-13: 9781435460126
- 320 Pages | Paperback
- COPYRIGHT: 2013 Published
Transform your vision and passion as you learn how to effectively start, grow, and lead a nonprofit organization with this practical, inspiring guide. FROM PASSION TO EXECUTION: HOW TO START AND GROW AN EFFECTIVE NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION combines meaningful, real examples and insights, based on the author's extensive experience, with a high-energy, powerful presentation that equips you with the confidence to follow your dream of starting a nonprofit organization. This reader-friendly book provides specific how-to steps to start a nonprofit organization with a focus on long term sustainability. The author shows you how to set the ground work, from exploring your personal passion and effectively articulating a mission statement to building a solid board. You also learn how to communicate vision, design programs, ignite volunteers, assemble the right business team, craft a strategic plan, seek supporters, and navigate differing personalities as the organization grows. Finally, you learn to assess results and adjust plans to effectively manage and continue to lead a successful organization.
Part I: CATCH THE VISION.
1. Passion and Purpose: Gifts of Non-Profit Organizations.
2. Doing Your Homework--Testing Your Ideas.
3. Five Key Ingredients for Starting a Successful Non-Profit Organization.
Part II: BUILDING THE FOUNDATION.
4. Assembling Your Board.
5. Applying for Incorporation.
6. What's the Big Deal about Bylaws?
7. A Closer Look at Board Governance.
8. Nurturing a Giving Board.
Part III: GETTING AND STAYING LEGAL.
9. The Ins and Outs of 501(c)(3) Status.
10. Dealing with Insurance and Liabilities.
11. Background Checks, Schedules, and Salaries.
12. Keeping the Books for Your Non-Profit Organization.
13. What Kind of Reporting Do You Need?
14. Here Come the Auditors.
Part IV: THE PEOPLE PART OF PASSION.
16. Hiring: Finding the Right Fit for the Job.
17. Building and Managing a Volunteer Corps.
18. Knowing When to Partner.
19. Planning, Managing, and Assessing Your Programs.
Part V: SUSTAINING YOUR WORK.
20. Raising Funds for Your Organization.
21. Building Your Audience through Newsletters and More.
22. Crowd Appeal: Special Events.
23. Social Media and Your Viral Message.
24. Troubleshooting Everything, Making Adjustments, and Preparing for the Future.
Appendix. Templates to Get You Started.