Microeconomics: An Intuitive Approach with Calculus, 2nd Edition
- Thomas Nechyba
- ISBN-10: 1305650468
- ISBN-13: 9781305650466
- Previous Editions: 2011
- COPYRIGHT: 2017 Published
Present microeconomic theory as a way of viewing the world with MICROECONOMICS: AN INTUITIVE APPROACH WITH CALCULUS, 2E. This book builds on the basic economic foundation of individual behavior. Each chapter contains two sections. The A sections introduce concepts using conversational writing, everyday examples and graphs with a focus on mathematical counterparts. B sections cover the same concepts with precise, accessible mathematical analyses that assume one semester of single-variable calculus. The book offers great flexibility with four distinct paths: a non-game theory path through microeconomics, a path emphasizing game theory, a path highlighting policy issues, or a path focused on business. You can also select when to use the B sections for greater depth and when you simply want an overview of a topic. MindTap is now available with interactive, animated Video Graph Presentations and select Progression Graphs that decompose economic concept graphs into finite steps.
Web Chapter 0: Foundational Preliminaries: Using Graphs and Math in Economics (web-based chapter).
PART I: UTILITY-MAXIMIZING CHOICE: CONSUMERS, WORKERS, AND SAVERS.
2. A Consumer's Economic Circumstances.
3. Economic Circumstances in Labor and Financial Markets.
4. Tastes and Indifference Curves.
5. Different Types of Tastes.
6. Doing the "Best" We Can.
7. Income and Substitution Effects in Consumer Goods Markets.
8. Wealth and Substitution Effects in Labor and Capital Markets.
9. Demand for Goods and Supply of Labor and Capital.
10. Consumer Surplus and Deadweight Loss.
PART II: PROFIT-MAXIMIZING CHOICE: PRODUCERS (OR "FIRMS").
11. One Input and One Output: A Short-Run Producer Model.
12. Production with Multiple Inputs.
13. Production Decisions in the Short and Long Run.
PART III: COMPETITIVE MARKETS AND THE "INVISIBLE HAND".
14. Competitive Market Equilibrium.
15. The "Invisible Hand" and the First Welfare Theorem.
16. General Equilibrium.
17. Choice and Markets in the Presence of Risk.
PART IV: DISTORTIONS OF THE "INVISIBLE HAND" IN COMPETITIVE MARKETS.
18. Elasticities, Price-Distorting Policies, and Non-Price Rationing.
19. Distortionary Taxes and Subsidies.
20. Prices and Distortions across Markets.
21. Externalities in Competitive Markets.
22. Asymmetric Information in Competitive Markets.
PART V: DISTORTIONS OF THE "INVISIBLE HAND" FROM STRATEGIC DECISIONS.
24. Strategic Thinking and Game Theory.
26. Product Differentiation and Innovation in Markets.
27. Public Goods.
28. Governments and Politics.
PART VI: CONSIDERING HOW TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE.
29. What Is Good? Challenges from Psychology and Philosophy.
30. Balancing Government, Civil Society, and Markets.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content. You can create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, in your classroom or through CengageNOW.MindTap Economics, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access for Nechyba's Microeconomics: An Intuitive Approach with Calculus (ISBN-10: 1305650719 | ISBN-13: 9781305650718)
MindTap Economics for Nechyba's Microeconomics: An Intuitive Approach with Calculus, 2nd Edition is the digital learning solution that powers students from memorization to mastery. It gives you complete control of your course—to provide engaging content, to challenge every individual, and to build their confidence. Empower students to accelerate their progress with MindTap. MindTap: Powered by You. MindTap gives you complete ownership of your content and learning experience with tools curated specifically for your Intermediate Microeconomics course. Animated Video Graph Presentations, interactive Graph Builder exhibits, answers to in-chapter and odd numbered end-of-chapter exercises, and Aplia are all available for the first time. Customize the interactive syllabi, emphasize the most important topics, and add your own material or notes in the eBook.
MindTap Economics for Nechyba’s Microeconomics: An Intuitive Approach with Calculus, 2nd Edition helps you learn on your terms. INSTANT ACCESS IN YOUR POCKET. Take advantage of the MindTap Mobile App. Read or listen to the text and study with the aid of instructor notifications, flashcards, and practice quizzes. MINDTAP HELPS YOU GEAR UP FOR ULTIMATE SUCCESS. Track your scores so you know where to focus your efforts and stay motivated toward your goals. You find answers to all in-chapter exercises and odd-numbered end-of-chapter exercises as well as questions powered by Aplia. You stay engaged with animated Video Graph Presentations and interactive Graph Builder exhibits while also understanding how these complex graphs are built. MINDTAP HELPS YOU MAKE THE TEXTBOOK YOURS. No one knows what works for you better than you. Highlight key text, add notes, and create custom flashcards to gather into a guide you organize.