Basic Finance: An Introduction to Financial Institutions, Investments and Management, 10th Edition
- Herbert B. Mayo
- ISBN-10: 1111820635
- ISBN-13: 9781111820633
- 720 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2007, 2004, 2001
- COPYRIGHT: 2012 Published
BASIC FINANCE: AN INTRODUCTION TO FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS, INVESTMENTS & MANAGEMENT, 10E, by Herbert B. Mayo discusses the three primary aspects of finance-financial institutions, investments, and management and examines how they are interrelated using a modular format. Each chapter offers a concise, self-contained treatment of one or two finance concepts or institutions easily covered in a single class period. BASIC FINANCE, 10E, provides a strong finance foundation that students can build on using Internet resources and sample number problems, cases, and calculator solutions that use a Microsoft® Excel® appendix. The text introduces the time value of money using three approaches to reinforce the concept--interest tables, financial calculator keystrokes, and investment analysis calculator software created specifically for the Mayo books.
Part I: FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS.
1. An Introduction to Basic Finance.
2. The Role of Financial Markets and Financial Intermediaries.
3 .Investment Banking.
4. Securities Markets.
5. The Federal Reserve.
6. International Currency Flows.
Part II: FINANCIAL TOOLS.
7. The Time Value of Money.
8. Risk and Its Measurement.
9. Analysis of Financial Statements.
Part III: INVESTMENTS.
10. The Features of Stock.
11. Stock Valuation.
12. The Features of Long-Term Debts--Bonds.
13. Bond Pricing and Yields.
14. Preferred Stock.
15. Convertible Securities.
16. Investment Returns.
17. Investment Companies.
Part IV: CORPORATE FINANCE.
18. Forms of Business and Corporate Taxation.
19. Break-Even Analysis and the Payback Period.
21. Cost of Capital.
22. Capital Budgeting.
24. Cash Budgeting.
25. Management of Current Assets.
26. Management of Short-Term Liabilities.
27. Intermediate-Term Debt and Leasing.
Part V: DERIVATIVES.
28. Options: Puts and Calls.
29. Futures and Swaps.
Appendix A: Interest Factors for the Future Value of One Dollar.
Appendix B: Interest Factors for the Present Value of One Dollar.
Appendix C: Interest Factors for the Future Value of an Annuity of One Dollar.
Appendix D: Interest Factors for the Present Value of an Annuity of One Dollar.
Appendix E: Using Excel to Solve Financial Problems.
Appendix F: Answers to Selected Problems.