Successful Writing at Work, 11th Edition
- Philip C. Kolin
- ISBN-10: 1305667611
- ISBN-13: 9781305667617
- 752 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2013, 2010, 2007
- COPYRIGHT: 2017 Published
SUCCESSFUL WRITING AT WORK, 11th Edition, features an abundance of real-world examples and problems, an accessible writing style, and detailed guidelines for planning, drafting, revising, editing, formatting, and producing professional documents and graphics in the global workplace. Students are presented with topics in four logically sequenced sections, beginning with a discussion of the writing process and collaboration, followed by material on basic business communications (including e-communications and social media), letters, and resumes; conducting research and documenting sources; and more advanced tasks such as preparing visuals, websites, instructions, procedures, proposals, short and long reports, and presentations. With each new writing assignment, students learn to become effective problem solvers, to work effectively as members of a collaborative team, to understand their global audience, and to select the best communication technologies to accomplish their goals.
"Successful Writing at Work covers every aspect of workplace communication from the memo to long report in a clear way with numerous, excellent examples."
— Karen Cristiano, Drexel University
1. Getting Started: Writing and Your Career.
2. The Writing Process at Work.
3. Collaborative Writing and Meetings in the Workplace.
4. E-Communications at Work: Email, Blogs, Messaging, and Social Media.
5. Writing Letters: Basics for Communicating with Audiences Worldwide.
6. Types of Business Letters and Memos.
7. How to Get a Job: Searches, Networking, Dossiers, Portfolios/Webfolios, Resumes, Transitioning to a Civilian Job, Letters, and Interviews.
8. Doing Research, Evaluating Sources, and Preparing Documentation in the Workplace.
9. Summarizing Information at Work.
10. Creating Clear Visuals.
11. Designing Successful Documents and Websites.
12. Writing Instructions and Procedures.
13. Writing Winning Proposals.
14. Writing Effective Short Reports.
15. Writing Careful Long Reports.
16. Making Successful Presentations at Work.
Appendix. A Writer's Brief Guide to Paragraphs, Sentences, and Words.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
MindTap English for Kolin’s Successful Writing at Work, 11th Edition is the digital learning solution that powers students from memorization to mastery. It gives you complete control of your course—to provide engaging content, to challenge every individual, and to build their confidence. Empower students to accelerate their progress with MindTap. MindTap: Powered by You. MindTap engages students to become better thinkers, communicators, and writers as they review every aspect of the writing process. Interactive activities focus on grammar and mechanics while an easy paper management system allows electronic submission, grading, and peer review while tracking potential plagiarism. Video tutorials and examples support research and professional tutoring guides students from rough drafts to polished writing. Visual analytics track student progress and work within your existing LMS.
MindTap English for Kolin’s Successful Writing at Work, 11th Edition helps you learn on your terms. INSTANT ACCESS IN YOUR POCKET. Take advantage of the MindTap Mobile App. Read or listen to the book and study with flashcards and practice quizzes. MINDTAP HELPS YOU GEAR UP FOR ULTIMATE SUCCESS. Track your scores and stay motivated. Improve your college writing and research skills with built-in tools, such as a professional tutoring service, a database of scholarly sources and interactive videos to support research papers. A dictionary and other tools keep you organized and on track. You’ll know where you need to focus your efforts. And the MindTap Green Dot will charge your confidence along the way. MINDTAP HELPS YOU MAKE THE TEXTBOOK YOURS. No one knows what works for you better than you. Highlight key text, add notes, and create custom flashcards to gather into a study guide that you organize.