Theory Essentials, 2nd Edition
- Connie E. Mayfield
- ISBN-10: 113330818X
- ISBN-13: 9781133308188
- 608 Pages | Spiralbound
- Previous Editions: 2003
- COPYRIGHT: 2013 Published
THEORY ESSENTIALS, 2/e offers a unique, total solution to teaching music theory. Integrating all the components of the two-year music theory sequence, the text and its accompanying workbook synthesize the major topics in music theory with aural skills, keyboard applications, and examples from the literature. Offering terrific value, THEORY ESSENTIALS replaces the need for the four separate texts traditionally required for the music theory sequence (theory, ear training/sight singing, keyboard harmony, and an anthology). The result is a remarkable, carefully-paced synthesis of these components that moves from a solid grounding in Fundamentals, Diatonic Harmony, Secondary Function chords, and Twentieth-Century Techniques.
1. The Basics of Reading Music.
2. Major Scales and Key Signatures.
4. Minor Scales and Key Signatures.
5. Triads and Figured Bass.
6. The Basics of Diatonic Harmony.
7. Part Writing with Root-Position Chords.
8. Root Movement by Fifth.
9. Root Movement by Second.
10. Root Movement by Third and Other Progressions.
11. Second-Inversion Chords.
12. First-Inversion Chords.
13. The Leading-Tone Triad and Other First-Inversion Practices.
14. Introduction to Simple Nonharmonic Tones.
15. Appoggiaturas, Escape Tones, and Pedal Tones.
16. Suspensions, Retardations, and Anticipations.
17. Introduction to Seventh Chords.
18. Dominant and Leading-Tone Seventh Chords.
19. Additional Seventh Chords.
20. Diatonic Modulation.
21. Introduction to Secondary Dominants.
22. Secondary Dominants of the Dominant.
23. Secondary Dominants of the Supertonic and Subdominant.
24. Secondary Dominants of the Mediant and Submediant.
25. Chromatic Modulation.
26. Borrowed Chords.
27. Neapolitan Triads and Other Altered Chords.
28. Additional Modulation Techniques.
29. Introduction to Augmented Sixth Chords.
30. Augmented Sixth Chords in Context.
31. Enharmonic Modulation with German Sixths.
32. Enharmonic Modulation with Fully Diminished Seventh Chords.
33. Introduction to Modes.
34. Impressionist Techniques.
35. Jazz Theory.
36. Techniques of Nontonal Music.
37. Nontertian Harmonic Techniques.
38. Pitch Class Set Theory.
40. Avant-Garde and Electronic Music.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
This workbook provides additional exercises suitable for homework assignments.
This workbook provides 150 pages of additional exercises.