World Civilizations, 8th Edition
- Philip J. Adler
- Randall L. Pouwels
- ISBN-10: 1305959876
- ISBN-13: 9781305959873
- 752 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2015, 2012, 2008
- COPYRIGHT: 2018 Published
For an accessible, comprehensive global survey of the world's major civilizations, Adler and Pouwels' WORLD CIVILIZATIONS offers a great balance between detail and brevity. This unique student-oriented text offers 53 short chapters accompanied by strong pedagogy and critical thinking tools, giving instructors the flexibility to assign a wide range of major topics in world history in a variety of different ways, while making learning more manageable for students. The focused treatment of topics throughout history covers every major epoch and follows broad patterns and processes, while illuminating history through specific examples and a particular emphasis on social and cultural topics. This edition is available in MindTap, an online learning experience that guides students through the course by combining the complete textbook with interactive multimedia, new chapter and unit activities, and study tools that assist instructors in keeping students engaged with the material.
“[World Civilizations] is an effective textbook, which works as the common reading link to all students... it presents short sessions, and it explores topics related to "non-Western" regions in a better way than other similar textbooks do. The authors structured the book into an easily adaptable format to my two-semester, 32-week World Civilization survey sequence... The chapters follow a clean structural presentation: the narrative, summary, identification terms, and questions for further reflection – those questions may also work when flipping the classroom... [the text] allows the instructor to creatively play with content.”
— Cristina Mehrtens, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
Unit I: FROM HUMAN ORIGINS TO AGRARIAN COMMUNITIES, c. 100,000–¬500 B.C.E.
1. The Earliest Human Societies.
3. Early Africa and Egypt.
4. Central Asia and India's Beginnings.
5. Ancient China to 221 B.C.E.
6. Settlement of the Americas and the Pacific Island.
Worldview I: From Human Origins to Agrarian Communities, 100,000–500 B.C.E.
Unit II: CLASSICAL CIVILIZATIONS OF THE WORLD, 500 B.C.E.–800 C.E.
7. New Civilizations and Empires in Western and Central Asia.
8. The Greek Adventure.
9. Greek Humanism, 800–100 B.C.E.
10. Rome: From City-State to Empire.
11. The Roman Empire and the Rise of Christianity in the West, 31 B.C.E.–800 C.E.
12. Iran, India, and "Global" Trade.
13. Imperial China in Its Golden Age.
Worldview II: Classical Civilizations of the World, 500 B.C.E.–800 C.E.
Unit III: THE POST-CLASSICAL ERA, c. 650–1500 C.E.
14. The Americas to the Fifteenth Century.
16. Mature Islamic Civilization and the First Global Civilization.
17. Africa from Axum to 1400.
18. The Mongols Unify Eurasia.
19. Japan and Southeast Asia.
20. The European Middle Ages, c. 800–1500.
21. The Late European Middle Ages and the Renaissance.
Worldview III: The Post-Classical Era, 800–1400 C.E.
Unit IV: EXPANDING WEBS OF INTERACTION, c. 1400–1800.
22. A Larger World Opens.
23. Religious Division and Political Consolidation in Europe.
24. The Gunpowder Empires of Western and Southern Asia.
25. Africa in the Era of Expansion.
26. China from the Ming Through the Early Qing Dynasty.
27. Japan and Southeast Asia in the Era of European Expansion.
28. From Conquest to Colonies in Hispanic America.
Worldview IV: Expanding Webs of Interaction, 1400–1700 C.E.
Unit V: REVOLUTIONS, IDEOLOGY, THE NEW IMPERIALISM, AND THE AGE OF EMPIRE, 1700–1920.
29. The Scientific Revolution and Its Enlightened Aftermath.
30. Liberalism and the Challenge to Absolute Monarchy.
31. The Early Industrial Revolution.
32. Europe: New Ideas and New Nations.
33. Advanced Industrial Society.
34. The Islamic World, 1600–1917.
35. India and Southeast Asia Under Colonial Rule.
36. European Imperialism and Africa During the Age of Industry.
37. China in the Age of Imperialism.
38. Latin America from Independence to Dependent States.
39. Modern Science and Its Implications.
Worldview V: Revolutions and the Age of Empire, 1600–1914.
Unit VI: TOWARD A GLOBALIZED WORLD, 1916–Present.
40. World War I and Its Disputed Settlement.
41. A Fragile Balance: Europe in the Twenties.
42. The Soviet Experiment to World War II.
43. Totalitarianism Refined: The Nazi State.
44. East Asia in a Century of Change.
45. World War II.
46. The Cold World War.
47. Decolonization of the Non-Western World.
48. The New Asia.
49. Africa's Decolonization and Independence.
50. Latin America in the Twentieth Century.
51. The Reemergence of the Muslim World.
52. Collapse and Reemergence in Communist Europe.
53. A New Millennium.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, the instructor's manual, and more.Cengage Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access (ISBN-10: 1305960106 | ISBN-13: 9781305960107)
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.MindTap History, 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access for Adler/Pouwels' World Civilizations (ISBN-10: 1305960165 | ISBN-13: 9781305960169)
MindTap History is the digital learning solution that helps you engage and transform today's students into critical thinkers. Through paths of dynamic assignments and applications that you can personalize, real-time course analytics, and an accessible reader, MindTap helps you turn cookie cutter into cutting edge, apathy into engagement, and memorizers into higher-level thinkers.
Short chapters, great stories, and study tools! Adler and Pouwels's WORLD CIVILIZATIONS is a vibrant introduction to world history structured to meet the demands of your study schedule. It's clearly written, packed with charts and illustrations, and loaded with review features so you'll be up to date in class and ready for tests. And, because WORLD CIVILIZATIONS offers extensive coverage of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, you'll have timely historical insights into the issues that make today's news. Get this book and discover how manageable and interesting history can be.World Civilizations: Volume II: Since 1500 (ISBN-10: 1305959981 | ISBN-13: 9781305959989)
Short chapters, great stories, and study tools! Adler and Pouwels's WORLD CIVILIZATIONS is a vibrant introduction to world history structured to meet the demands of your study schedule. It's clearly written, packed with charts and illustrations, and loaded with review features so you'll be up to date in class and ready for tests. And, because WORLD CIVILIZATIONS offers extensive coverage of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, you'll have timely historical insights into the issues that make today's news. Get this book and discover how manageable and interesting history can be.MindTap History, 2 terms (12 months) Instant Access for Adler/Pouwels' World Civilizations (ISBN-10: 1305960165 | ISBN-13: 9781305960169)
It’s 1 AM, there are 20 tabs open on your computer, you lost your flashcards for the test, and you’re so tired you can’t even read. It’d be nice if someone came up with a more efficient way of studying. Luckily, someone did. With a single login for MindTap History for Adler/Pouwels' World Civilizations, 8th Edition you can connect with your instructor, organize coursework, and have access to a range of study tools, including e-book and apps all in one place! Manage your time and workload without the hassle of heavy books! The MindTap Reader keeps all your notes together, lets you print the material, will even read text out loud, and allows for further research opportunities all with the click of a mouse. Need extra practice? Use Mastery Training to help you retain more information than you ever thought possible; plus find the entire eBook in the MindTap Mobile App, as well as quizzes and important course alerts. Want to know where you stand? Use the Progress app to track your performance in relation to other students.