Pharmacy Practice for Technicians, 5th Edition
- Zachary I. Hanan
- Sr. Jane M. Durgin
- ISBN-10: 1133132766
- ISBN-13: 9781133132769
- 624 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2009, 2005, 1999
- COPYRIGHT: 2015 Published
Designed to fully prepare the pharmacy technician for the challenges of a career in the pharmacy industry, the Fifth Edition of DURGIN AND HANAN'S PHARMACY PRACTICE FOR TECHNICIANS continues to provide students with the comprehensive coverage that has made previous editions so popular. Useful as both an education tool and a reference manual, this practical text covers all aspects of contemporary health care and pharmacy practice, including comprehensive information on basic pharmacy concepts and changes in pharmacy technician duties, practice and regulatory standards. With increased coverage of prescription drug plans, career opportunities, and communication skills, this "classic" text provides students with the information needed to excel in a variety of pharmacy settings.
Preface (Sister Jane M. Durgin and Zachary I. Hanan).
Introduction (Lisa S. Lifshin).
Acknowledgements (Sister Jane M. Durgin and Zachary I. Hanan).
PART I: OVERVIEW OF HEALTH CARE.
1. Historical Developments in Pharmacy and Health Care (Sr. Jane M. Durgin).
2. Organizational Structure and Function of the Hospital/ Health System and the Department of Pharmacy (Douglas E. Miller).
3. Home Health Care (Barbara Limburg Mancini).
4. Long-Term Care (Richard J. Lohne, Jonathan Shataal).
5. Community Pharmacy Practice (Maria Marzella Mantione, Carmella Avena-Woods).
6. Pharmacy Practice in the Armed Forces (Christopher G. Lynch, John D. Catoe, Darryl A. McGuire, Jr.).
7. Mail Order Pharmacy Practice (Sam Medure).
8. Durable and Non-Durable Medical Equipment and Supplies (Ronald A. DeBellis).
9. Nuclear Pharmacy Practice (Dan Palmquist, Richard P. Medeiros).
PART II: THE PROFESSION OF PHARMACY.
10. Regulatory Standards in Pharmacy Practice (James Ruger).
11. Drug-Use Control: The Foundation of Pharmaceutical Care (Norberto Alberto, Shu Jing).
12. Ethical Considerations for the Pharmacy Technician (Martha L. Mackey).
13. Organizations in Pharmacy (Debra Feinberg).
PART III: PROFESSIONAL ASPECTS OF PHARMACY TECHNOLOGY.
14. The Prescription (Robert A. Hamilton).
15. Medical Terminology and Abbreviations (M. Elyse Wheeler, Danielle R. Janiak).
16. Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms (P.L. Madan).
17. Pharmaceutical Calculations (Melinda Reed and Lee Anna Obos).
18. Extemporaneous Compounding (Steve Laddy, Thomas Mastanduono, Lin Leung).
19. Sterile Preparation Compounding (Laura Thoma, Karen Wong).
20. Administration of Medications (Sabra Boughton).
21. Drug Information (Laura Gianni Augusto).
22. Drug Distribution Systems (Gary Collins).
23. Infection Control and Prevention in the Pharmacy (Catherine Shannon).
PART IV: CLINICAL ASPECTS OF PHARMACY TECHNOLOGY.
24. Introduction to Biopharmaceutics (Robert S. Kidd, Regina F. Peacock).
25. The Actions and Uses of Drugs (Robert S. Kidd, L. Michael Marcum).
26– Non-Prescription Medication (Nicole M. Maisch).
27. Natural Products (Dudley G. Moon, Elaine Liu).
PART V: ADMINISTRATIVE ASPECTS OF PHARMACY TECHNOLOGY.
28. The Policy and Procedure Manual (Zachary I. Hanan and Sister Jane Durgin).
29. Pharmaceutical Supple Chain (Gary C. Collins).
30. The Pharmacy Formulary System (Mark N. Brueckl).
31. Pharmacy Informatics (Edmund Hayes).
32. Preventing and Managing Medication Errors: The Technician's Role (Matthew Grissinger and Susan M. Proulx).
33. Communication Skills (Michael DeCoske).
34. Reimbursement for Pharmacy Services (Angela Dominelli).
35. Accreditation of Pharmacy Technician Programs (Lisa S. Lifshin).
36. Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (Melissa Murer Corrigan, Megan E. Sheahan).
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. CourseMate includes: An interactive eBook with highlighting, note taking and an interactive glossary and Interactive learning tools, including: Quizzes, Flashcards, Videos, and more!