California: The Politics of Diversity, 9th Edition
- David G. Lawrence
- Jeff Cummins
- ISBN-10: 1305629914
- ISBN-13: 9781305629912
- 320 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2015, 2013, 2010
- COPYRIGHT: 2017 Published
CALIFORNIA: THE POLITICS OF DIVERSITY, 9th Edition, explores the uniqueness and excitement of California's political environment through two key themes: diversity and hyperpluralism. Experienced educators with backgrounds in state and local government, Lawrence and Cummins bring an informed, insightful perspective to the examination of the numerous pressures that make governing the state increasingly challenging. To help readers better understand California politics in a national context, this comprehensive text also discusses aspects of American politics such as the democratic, elite, and pluralist theories, and shows how those concepts can aid in understanding California politics.
1. Explaining California Politics.
2. California's Political Development.
3. Constitutionalism and Federalism: The Perimeters of California Politics.
4. Direct Democracy in a Hyperpluralistic Age.
5. How Californians Participate.
6. Linking People and Policymakers: Media, Parties, and Interest Groups.
7. Legislative Politics.
8. Executive Politics.
9. California's Judiciary.
10. Community Politics.
11. Budget Policy: The Cost of Diversity.
12. Policies Stemming from Growth.
13. Policies Stemming from Diversity.