Western Civilization, Alternate Volume: Since 1300, 10th Edition
- Jackson Spielvogel
- ISBN-10: 1305952847
- ISBN-13: 9781305952843
- 736 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2015, 2012, 2009
- COPYRIGHT: 2018 Published
Best-selling author Jackson Spielvogel has helped over one million students learn about the present by exploring the past. Spielvogel's engaging narrative weaves the political, economic, social, religious, intellectual, cultural, and military aspects of history into a gripping story that is as memorable as it is instructive. Updated to reflect current scholarship, WESTERN CIVILIZATION, 10th Edition, includes more than 150 maps and excerpts of more than 250 primary sources that enliven the past while introducing students to the source material of historical scholarship. Additionally, the text is illustrated with more than 400 photographs that add visual context. A variety of pedagogical tools, including focus and critical thinking questions, primary source features with assignable questions, and end-of-chapter study aids, make this edition accessible to any learning style.
"The author strikes a very good balance between being comprehensive without drowning students in detail. … All of the chapters are strong, which is a big reason that I use the book."
— Thomas Mockaitis, DePaul University
11. The Later Middle Ages: Crisis and Disintegration in the Fourteenth Century.
12. Recovery and Rebirth: The Age of the Renaissance.
13. Reformation and Religious Warfare in the Sixteenth Century.
14. Europe and The World: New Encounters, 1500–1800.
15. State Building and the Search for Order in the Seventeenth Century.
16. Toward a New Heaven and a New Earth: The Scientific Revolution and the Emergence of Modern Science.
17. The Eighteenth Century: An Age of Enlightenment.
18. The Eighteenth Century: European States, International Wars, and Social Change.
19. A Revolution in Politics: The Era of The French Revolution and Napoleon.
20. The Industrial Revolution and Its Impact on European Society.
21. Reaction, Revolution, and Romanticism, 1815–1850.
22. An Age of Nationalism and Realism, 1850–1871.
23. Mass Society in an "Age of Progress," 1871–1894.
24. An Age of Modernity, Anxiety, and Imperialism, 1894–1914.
25. The Beginning of the Twentieth-Century Crisis: War and Revolution.
26. The Futile Search for Stability: Europe Between the Wars, 1919–1939.
27. The Deepening of the European Crisis: World War II.
28. Cold War and a New Western World, 1945–1965.
29. Protest and Stagnation: The Western World, 1965–1985.
30. After The Fall: The Western World in a Global Age (Since 1985).
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.Cengage Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access (ISBN-10: 1305954726 | ISBN-13: 9781305954724)
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.