Employment and Labor Law, 9th Edition
- Patrick J. Cihon
- James Ottavio Castagnera
- ISBN-10: 130558001X
- ISBN-13: 9781305580015
- 800 Pages | Hardcover
- Previous Editions: 2014, 2011, 2008
- COPYRIGHT: 2017 Published
Now you can give students of business and other non-legal professions the comprehensive introduction to employment and labor-relations law they need with EMPLOYMENT AND LABOR LAW, 9E. Specially designed for the non-legal student, this book uses real case excerpts to encourage critical reasoning and illustrate how labor-related disputes arise and are resolved in the courts. Enlightening chapter features, such as The Working Law and Ethical Dilemma, connect with students by showing how labor legislation and ethical decision-making impact employees at all levels of organizations today. This edition highlights the latest information on timely issues, such as the NLRB and EEOC, the Fair Labor Standards Act, President Obama’s executive orders regarding undocumented immigrants and LGBT rights, Obamacare, the Defense of Marriage Act, and other employee-benefits developments. No other book on the market contains such a balanced coverage combined with a proven, student-friendly approach.
Part I: COMMON-LAW EMPLOYMENT ISSUES.
1. First the Forest, Then the Trees: An Overview of Employment and Labor Law.
2. Employment Contracts and Wrongful Discharge.
3. Commonly Committed Workplace Torts.
4. Employee Privacy Rights in the 21st Century.
5. The Global Perspective: International Employment Law and American Immigration Policy.
Part II: EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY.
6. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and Race Discrimination.
7. Gender and Family Issues: Title VII and Other Legislation.
8. Discrimination Based on Religion and National Origin and Procedures under Title VII.
9. Discrimination Based on Age.
10. Discrimination Based on Disability.
11. Other Equal Employment Opportunity and Employment Legislation: Federal and State Laws.
Part III: LABOR RELATIONS LAW.
12. The Rise of Organized Labor and Its Regulatory Framework.
13. The Unionization Process.
14. Unfair Labor Practices by Employers and Unions.
15. Collective Bargaining.
16. Picketing and Strikes.
17. The Enforcement and Administration of the Collective Agreement.
18. The Rights of Union Members.
19. Public Sector Labor Relations.
Part IV: EMPLOYMENT LAW ISSUES.
20. Occupational Safety and Health.
21. The Employee's Safety Nets: Unemployment and Workers' Compensation, Social Security, and Retirement Plans.
22. The Fair Labor Standards Act.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
Find everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.Cengage Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access (ISBN-10: 1305580052 | ISBN-13: 9781305580053)
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.