Sniffy the Virtual Rat Pro, Version 3.0 (with CD-ROM), 3rd Edition
- with CD-ROM
- Tom Alloway
- Greg Wilson
- Jeff Graham
- ISBN-10: 1111726256
- ISBN-13: 9781111726256
- 288 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2005, 2000
- COPYRIGHT: 2012 Published
Bring the theories of learning to life using SNIFFY, THE VIRTUAL RAT! Instructors praise Sniffy, a realistic digital rat in an operant chamber (Skinner Box), for his ability to give students hands-on experience in setting up and conducting experiments that demonstrate the phenomena of classical and operant conditioning. Users begin by training Sniffy to press a bar to obtain food. Then they progress to more studies of more complex learning phenomena. Throughout each, a series of "Mind Windows" enables students to visualize how Sniffy's experiences in the chamber produce the psychological changes that their textbooks discuss in connection with learning. Available on a cross-platform CD-ROM, the Pro version of Sniffy includes fifty exercises that cover every major phenomena typically covered in a Psychology of Learning course. The CD-ROM comes with a Lab Manual that walks users through the steps necessary to set up classical and operant conditioning experiments that closely resemble the experiments discussed in learning texts. (Screen shots are included for both Macintosh and Windows users.) The manual also includes instructions on how to print or e-mail results so that Sniffy can become part of students' homework assignments and term papers.
Preface: Installing Sniffy Pro.
1. Introduction to Sniffy.
2. Introduction to Classical Conditioning.
3. Basic Phenomena of Classical Conditioning: Acquisition, Extinction, Spontaneous Recovery, and Stimulus Intensity Effects.
4. Compound Conditioning, Blocking, Overshadowing, and Overexpectation.
5. Inhibitory Conditioning.
6. Associative Structures in Classical Conditioning: Sensory Preconditioning and Higher-Order Conditioning.
7. The Nature of the Association in Classical Conditioning.
8. Habituation, Sensitization, Background Conditioning, and the CS and US Pre-Exposure Effects.
9. Introduction to Operant Conditioning.
10. Basic Operant Phenomena: Magazine Training, Shaping, Extinction, Spontaneous Recovery, and Secondary Reinforcement.
11. The Effects of Punishment on Response Elimination.
12. Schedules of Reinforcement.
13. Stimulus Discrimination and Stimulus Generalization.
14. Shaping Behaviors Other Than Bar Pressing.
Appendix: How to Manage Your Sniffy Files.