California: The Politics of Diversity, 8th Edition
- David G. Lawrence
- Jeff Cummins
- ISBN-10: 1285738179
- ISBN-13: 9781285738178
- 320 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2013, 2010, 2008
- COPYRIGHT: 2015 Published
CALIFORNIA: THE POLITICS OF DIVERSITY, Eighth Edition, is a comprehensive text that explores the uniqueness and excitement of California's political environment through two key themes: diversity and hyperpluralism. An experienced educator with a background in local government, Lawrence brings an informed, insightful perspective to the examination of the numerous pressures that make governing the state increasingly challenging. To help readers better understand California politics in a national context, the text also discusses aspects of American politics such as the democratic, elite, and pluralist theories and shows how those concepts can aid in understanding California politics.
"Easy to read, easy for the students to read and follow—great flow."- Antoine Clerc, College of the Desert
— Antoine Clerc
1. Explaining California Politics.
2. California's Political Development.
3. Constitutionalism and Federalism: The Perimeters of California Politics.
4. Direct Democracy in a Hyperpluralistic Age.
5. How Californians Participate.
6. Linking People and Policymakers: Media, Parties, and Interest Groups.
7. Legislative Politics.
8. Executive Politics.
9. California's Judiciary.
10. Community Politics.
11. Budget Policy: The Cost of Diversity.
12. Policies Stemming from Growth.
13. Policies Stemming from Diversity.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
A revised Instructor's Manual and Test Bank offers suggestions for class discussions, writing assignments, Internet and research projects, and exam questions.