Precision Machining Technology, SI Edition, 1st Edition
- Peter J. Hoffman
- Eric S. Hopewell
- Brian Janes
- Kent M. Sharp, Jr.
- ISBN-10: 1133949975
- ISBN-13: 9781133949978
- 768 Pages | Paperback
- COPYRIGHT: 2014 Published
Carefully written to align with the Machining Level I Standard and to support achievement of the National Institute of Metalworking Skills (NIMS) credentials, PRECISION MACHINING TECHNOLOGY, SI Edition carries the exclusive endorsement of the National Institute for Metalworking Skills (NIMS) which recommends this book for use in NIMS-accredited Machining Level I Programs. It is the ideal book to introduce readers to the excitement of today's machine tool industry and provides a good understanding of fundamental and intermediate machining skills needed for successful twenty first century careers. With an emphasis on safety with many caution boxes throughout the book to remind readers about necessary precautions, it offers a fresh view of the role of modern machining in today's economic environments and covers such topics as the basics of hand tools, job planning, benchwork, layout operations, drill press, and milling and grinding processes. The book concludes with a section on Computer Numerical Control (CNC), which presents the world of high-tech automated processes and provides many examples of CNC programming for machining and turning centers, as well as use of tooling.
SECTION 1: INTRODUCTION TO MACHINING.
1. Introduction to Machining.
2. Careers in Machining.
3. Workplace Skills.
SECTION 2: MEASUREMENT, MATERIALS, AND SAFETY.
1. Introduction to Safety.
2. Measurement Systems and Machine Tool Math Overview.
3. Semi-Precision Measurement.
4. Precision Measurement.
5. Quality Assurance, Process Planning, & Quality Control.
6. Metal Composition and Classification.
7. Heat Treatment of Metals.
8. Maintenance, Lubrication, and Cutting Fluid Overview.
SECTION 3: JOB PLANNING, BENCHWORK, AND LAYOUT.
1. Understanding Drawings.
3. Hand Tools (Safety Integration).
4. Saws and Cut-Off Machine.
5. Offhand Grinding.
6. Drilling, Treading, Tapping and Reaming.
SECTION 4: DRILL PRESS.
1. Introduction to the Drill Press
2. Tools, Toolholding, and Workholding for the Drill Press
3. Drill Press Operation.
SECTION 5: TURNING.
1. Introduction to the Lathe.
2. Workholding and Toolholding Devices for the Lathe.
3. Machining Operations on the Lathe.
4. Manual Lathe Threading.
5. Taper Turning.
SECTION 6: MILLING.
1. Introduction to the Vertical Milling Machine.
2. Tools, Toolholding, and Workholding for the Vertical Milling Machine.
3. Vertical Milling Machine Operations.
4. Indexing and Rotary Table Operations.
SECTION 7: GRINDING.
1. Introduction to Precision Grinding Machines.
2. Grinding Wheels for Precision Grinding.
3. Surface Grinding Operations.
SECTION 8: COMPUTER NUMERICAL CONTROL.
1. CNC Basics.
2. Introduction to CNC Turning.
3. CNC Turning: Programming.
4. CNC Turning: Set-up and Operation.
5. Introduction to CNC Milling.
6. CNC Milling: Programming.
7. CNC Milling: Set-up and Operation.
8. Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Machining.