Western Civilization: Volume A: To 1500, 9th Edition
- Jackson Spielvogel
- ISBN-10: 128543658X
- ISBN-13: 9781285436586
- 448 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2012, 2009, 2006
- COPYRIGHT: 2015 Published
Best-selling author Jackson Spielvogel has helped over one million students learn about the present by exploring the past. Spielvogel's engaging narrative weaves the political, economic, social, religious, intellectual, cultural, and military aspects of history into a gripping story that is as memorable as it is instructive. WESTERN CIVILIZATION includes 155 maps and excerpts of more than 250 primary sources that enliven the past while introducing students to the source material of historical scholarship. Additionally, the text is illustrated with 430 photographs that add visual context. A variety of pedagogical tools, including features on relevant films and end-of-chapter study aids, make this edition accessible to any learning style. Available in the following split options: WESTERN CIVILIZATION, Ninth Edition (Chapters 1-30), ISBN: 9781285436401; Volume I: To 1715 (Chapters 1-16), ISBN: 978-1-285-43648-7; Volume II: Since 1500 (Chapters 13-30), ISBN: 978-1-285-43655-5; Volume A: To 1500 (Chapters 1-12), ISBN: 978-1-285-43658-6; Volume B: 1300 to 1815 (Chapters 11-19), ISBN: 978-1-285-43661-6; Volume C: Since 1789 (Chapters 19-30), ISBN: 978-1-285-43662-3; Alternate Volume: Since 1300 (Chapters 11-30), ISBN: 978-1-285-43668-5.
1. The Ancient Near East: The First Civilizations.
2. The Ancient Near East: Peoples and Empires.
3. The Civilization of the Greeks.
4. The Hellenistic World.
5. The Roman Republic.
6. The Roman Empire.
7. Late Antiquity and the Emergence of the Medieval World.
8. European Civilization in the Early Middle Ages, 750–1000.
9. The Recovery and Growth of European Society in the High Middle Ages.
10. The Rise of Kingdoms and the Growth of Church Power.
11. The Later Middle Ages: Crisis and Disintegration in the Fourteenth Century.
12. Recovery and Rebirth: The Age of the Renaissance.