Music for Sight Singing, 6th Edition
- Thomas E. Benjamin
- Michael Horvit
- Robert S. Nelson
- ISBN-10: 1133307973
- ISBN-13: 9781133307976
- 384 Pages | Spiralbound
- Previous Editions: 2009, 2005, 2000
- COPYRIGHT: 2013 Published
Designed for the "musicianship" portion of the freshman theory sequence, Benjamin/Horvit/Nelson MUSIC FOR SIGHT SINGING, Sixth Edition, presents music that is challenging without overwhelming young musicians. Drawing on their extensive experience as composers and arrangers who adapt music for their own students, the authors strike a critical balance between rigor and accessibility.
Part I: COMMON PRACTICE TECHNIQUES: DIATONIC.
1. Rhythm: One-and-Two-Pulse Units (Unmetered). Pitch: The Major Scale.
2. Rhythm: Simple Meters. Pitch: Introducing Thirds. Pitch: Introducing Fourths.
3. Pitch: Tonic Triad in the Major Mode. Introducing Fifths, Sixths, and Octaves.
4. Rhythm: 2:1 Subdivisions of the Beat. Pitch: I, V, and V7; Introducing Sevenths.
5. Rhythm: Anacruses (Upbeats) and 4:1 Subdivisions of the Beat. Pitch: I, IV, V, and V7. Pitch: Introducing the Alto Clef.
6. Rhythm: Dots and Ties. Pitch: Minor Mode.
7. Music from the Literature.
8. Rhythm: Compound Meter. Pitch: Supertonic Traid. Pitch: Submediant and Mediant Triads. Pitch: Tenor Clef.
9. Rhythm: Triplets and Duplets.
10. Music from the Literature.
11. Rhythm: Syncopation. Pitch: Other Seventh Chords.
Part II: COMMON PRACTICE TECHNIQUES: CHROMATIC.
12. Pitch: Decorative Chromaticism.
Pitch: Inflected Scale Degrees. Pitch: Scalar Variants in Minor. Pitch: Modal Borrowing.
13. Music from the Literature.
14. Pitch: Secondary Dominants.
15. Pitch: Modulations to Closely Related Keys.
16. Rhythm: Quintuple Meters. Pitch: Chromaticism Implying Altered Chords; Modulation to Distantly Related Keys.
17. Music from the Literature.
Part III: TWENTIETH-CENTURY TECHNIQUES.
18. Rhythm: Irregular Meters. Pitch: Diatonic Modes. Pitch: Changing Clefs. Part Music.
19. Rhythm: Changing Meters.
20. Rhythm: Syncopation Including Irregular and Mixed Meters. Pitch: Extended and Altered Tertian Harmony.
21. Pitch: Exotic Scales.
22. Rhythm: Complex Divisions of the Beat. Pitch: Quartal Harmony.
23. Rhythm: Polyrhythms and Polymeters. Pitch: Polyharmony and Polytonality.
24. Pitch: Interval Music.
25. Serial Music.
26. Music from the Literature.
The new CourseMate provides additional diagnostic quizzes for music fundamentals--intervals, chords, and scales--to give you a solid foundation in your aural skills sequence. The CourseMate also features high-quality streaming audio renderings that provide more realistic listening examples for the music literature units. Attention Premium Website user: Cengage support for existing users of Premium Websites will end of 8/1.