Building Writing Skills the Hands-on Way, 1st Edition
- Jenia Walter
- ISBN-10: 1305260732
- ISBN-13: 9781305260733
- 512 Pages | Paperback
- COPYRIGHT: 2017 Published
BUILDING WRITING SKILLS THE HANDS-ON WAY, 1st Edition is a student-friendly, developmental English textbook that teaches fluency in writing, reading, and critical thinking skills. Rich with multisensory exercises that activate multiple learning styles, this book covers the basic skills that lead to proficiency, while addressing the need for a new way to reach a diverse population of learners. The text engages students with hands-on activities that introduce concepts, while providing clear explanations to reinforce learning. Its structure addresses the challenges of teaching sentence-level and composition skills in a limited timeframe by allowing instructors to tailor skills work to student needs while focusing on communication and critical thinking. Adaptable to your teaching needs, the book is designed for paragraph and/or essay skills, with a reading skills section and high-interest anthology. Also available with the text--Instructor's Manual provides additional materials to reduce prep time and extend practice, and suggests ways to use the book depending on course needs.
"The author continues to use a tone that engages student readers . . . and keeps them reading so they can find ways to 'beat the system.' When the text refers to academic or grammatical rules, the explanations are accurate and the coverage is complete."
— Kathleen McCann Klaiber, Genessee Community College
Part I: WRITING AS COMMUNICATION AND EXPRESSION.
1. Freewriting: Thoughts into Words.
2. Generating and Organizing Ideas: Your Raw Materials.
3. Developing Powerful Paragraphs: A Structure for Ideas.
4. Crafting Purposeful Paragraphs: Strategies and Patterns.
5. Building an Essay: Concepts and Skills.
6. Writing for a Purpose: Essay Strategies and Structures.
7. The Revision Process: Refining Your Work.
8. The Editing Process: Polishing Your Work.
Part II: BUILDING A STRONG FOUNDATION.
9. Overview of Parts of Speech: A Crash Course.
10. Simple Sentence Structure: The Basic Construction Unit.
11. Using Commas Correctly: Working within the Sentence.
12. Compound Sentence Structure: Key to Understanding Punctuation.
13. Catching Run-ons: Using Sentence Structure Tools to Fix Errors.
14. Complex Sentences: Final Pieces of the Sentence Structure Puzzle.
15. Fixing Fragments: Editing Incomplete Ideas.
16. Modifiers: Expanding and Adding to Sentences.
17. Sentence Types: Creating Variety.
18. Nouns: The Stuff That Everything Is Made of.
19. Pronouns: Stand-ins for Nouns.
20. Verbs: The Action That Is in Every Sentence.
21. Adjectives and Adverbs: Words that Add More.
Part III: A HANDBOOK OF SENTENCE MECHANICS AND ACADEMIC CONVENTIONS.
22. A Guide to Punctuation Patterns.
23. Research Skills for Quoting, Paraphrasing, and Citing Sources.
24. Tips on Language and Style.
25. An Overview of Vocabulary Skills.
Part IV: BUILDING READING SKILLS THE HANDS-ON WAY.
26. Building Reading Skills.
Part V: APPENDIXES.
A-1. Ways of Learning, Challenges, and the Brain.
A-2. Grammar and Usage Tips: Especially for ESL.
A-3. Employment Document Skills.
R-1. Conjunction Families.
R-2. Pronoun Lists.
R-3. Helping Verbs.
R-4. Common Irregular Verbs.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
MindTap Developmental English for Walter's Building Writing Skills the Hands-on Way is the digital learning solution that powers students from memorization to mastery. It gives you complete control of your course—to provide engaging content, to challenge every individual, and to build their confidence. Empower students to accelerate their progress with MindTap. MindTap: Powered by You. MindTap gives you complete ownership of your content and learning experience. Engage students with high-interest assignments, including hands-on interactive animations, journal entries, and forum prompts, all tailor-made for your course. Customize the interactive syllabi, emphasize the most important topics, and add your own material or notes in the eBook.Annotated Instructor's Edition (ISBN-10: 1305656164 | ISBN-13: 9781305656161)
MindTap Developmental English for Walter's Building Writing Skills the Hands-on Way helps you learn on your terms. INSTANT ACCESS IN YOUR POCKET. Take advantage of the MindTap Mobile App to learn on your terms. Read or listen to textbooks and study with the aid of instructor notifications, flashcards, and practice quizzes. MINDTAP HELPS YOU CREATE YOUR OWN POTENTIAL. GEAR UP FOR ULTIMATE SUCCESS. Track your scores and stay motivated toward your goals. Whether you have more work to do or are ahead of the curve, you’ll know where you need to focus your efforts. And the MindTap Green Dot will charge your confidence along the way. MINDTAP HELPS YOU OWN YOUR PROGRESS. MAKE YOUR TEXTBOOK YOURS. No one knows what works for you better than you. Highlight key text, add notes, and create custom flashcards. When it’s time to study, gather everything you’ve flagged into a guide you organize.