Mastering Competencies in Family Therapy: A Practical Approach to Theory and Clinical Case Documentation, 1st Edition
- Diane R. Gehart
- ISBN-10: 0495597244
- ISBN-13: 9780495597247
- 528 Pages | Paperback
- COPYRIGHT: 2010 Published
Gehart offers one of the first textbooks designed to teach the majority of skills and knowledge outlined in the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) Core Competencies. Using a light and inviting tone, the author engages students and provides them a comprehensive five-step model for competent treatment which includes case conceptualization, clinical assessment (diagnosis) and case management, treatment planning, evaluation of progress, and documentation. The work also includes a set of useful clinical forms that can be applied in practice environments, as well as an introduction to the importance of theory and evidence-based practice in all five steps.
Part I: MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPY COMPETENCIES.
1. Competency in Family Therapy.
2. Case Conceptualization.
3. Clinical Assessment.
4. Treatment Planning.
5. Evaluating Progress in Therapy.
6. Document It: Progress Notes.
Part II: MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPY THEORIES.
7. Understanding the Role of Theory in Therapy.
8. Philosophical Foundations of Family Therapy Theories.
9. Systemic and Strategic Therapies.
10. Structural Therapy.
11. Experiential Family Therapies.
12. Intergenerational and Psychoanalytic Family Therapies.
13. Behavioral and Cognitive Couple and Family Therapies.
14. Solution-Based Therapies.
15. Collaborative and Narrative Therapies.
16. Group Therapy With Couples and Families.
Closing Thoughts: Where to Go From Here?