Law in Social Work Practice, 3rd Edition
- Andrea Saltzman, M.A., J.D.
- David M. Furman, M.S.W., J.D.
- Kathleen Ohman, M.S.W., Ph.D.
- ISBN-10: 1133312616
- ISBN-13: 9781133312611
- 544 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 1999, 1990
- COPYRIGHT: 2016 Published
Written by an author team educated in both the law and social work, this book acquaints readers with major state and federal laws, regulations, and court opinions that directly affect social work practice. LAW IN SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE, 3rd Edition helps readers understand how to work within the legal system to benefit clients and further client interests, recognize certain client problems as legal, and work effectively with lawyers, as well as how the law shapes and restricts clients' actions. It also addresses how the law regulates social work practice, and how to recognize and respect the rights of clients and others affected by a practitioner's actions.
Part I: BASIC LEGAL CONCEPTS, PRINCIPLES, AND SKILLS FOR SOCIAL WORKERS.
1. Understanding the Law and the Legal System.
2. Skills in Finding, Reading, and Citing the Law.
3. Understanding the Hearing Process.
4. Skills for Competent Practice in the Hearing Process.
5. Understanding the Constitution.
Part II: LAW IMPACTING ALL FIELDS OF SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE.
6. Regulation of Practice.
7. Confidentiality and Other Legal and Ethical Obligations.
8. Sanctions for Illegal, Unethical, and Unprofessional Practice.
Part III: LAW RELATED TO SPECIFIC FIELDS OF SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE.
9. Criminal Justice.
10. Juvenile Justice.
11. Protection of Children.
12. Adoption of Children.
13. Parentage and Child Support.
14. Adult Domestic Relations.
15. Custody of Children.
16. Education of Children.
17. Health Care.
18. Commitment and Treatment of Persons with Mental Disorders.
19. Guardianship and Protection of Vulnerable Adults.