A Taste for Writing: Composition for Culinarians, 2nd Edition
- Vivian C. Cadbury
- ISBN-10: 1133277918
- ISBN-13: 9781133277910
- 648 Pages | Paperback
- Previous Editions: 2008
- COPYRIGHT: 2015 Published
A TASTE FOR WRITING: COMPOSITION FOR CULINARIANS, Second Edition is the ideal resource to help culinary arts students and professionals master key grammar principles and writing practices while learning to express themselves as confidently on the page as they do in the kitchen. The author's signature writing style is engaging and accessible. Drawing on the language of food and cooking, she explains even the most difficult topics in a way sure to spark students' interest and encourage mastery of the material. Key concepts are brought to life through the analysis of student and professional writing samples, as well as the use of vivid examples from the food industry and popular culture. A variety of exercises leads students through all phases of the writing process, from the creative right-brain activities of generating ideas and writing a first draft to the analytical left-brain skills required for effective revision and editing. Although created specifically for culinary arts students and professionals, this one-of-a-kind book can be used by all readers to develop their skills in – and taste for – writing.
Part I: PROCESS.
1. Cooking Up Communication.
2. Recipe for Reading.
3. Getting Started with the Writing Process.
4. Developing Your Ideas.
5. Planning & Revising Your Writing.
6. Working with Paragraphs & Transitions.
7. Writing Introductions & Conclusions.
8. Improving Sentence Fluency.
9. Revising Word Choice.
Part II: PATTERNS.
10. Finding Your Voice.
11. Telling a Story.
12. Working with Descriptive Details.
13. Compare & Contrast.
14. Process/Narrative, Analysis, Recipe.
15. Example, Definition, Cause & Effect.
16. Persuasive Writing.
17. Analysis/Writing about Literature.
18. Introduction to Research I: Finding & Evaluating Your Sources.
19. Introduction to Research II: Using & Citing Your Sources.
Part III: PRESENTATION.
20. Reviewing the Parts of Speech.
21. Understanding Sentence Basics.
22. Fixing Sentence Fragments.
23. Run-on Sentences & Comma Splices.
24. Subject/Verb Agreement.
25. More about Verbs.
26. Pronouns & Point of View.
27. Adjectives, Adverbs & Other Modifiers.
28. Maintaining Parallelism.
29. Editing & Proofreading the Final Draft.
30. Punctuation I/End Marks, Capitalization, Apostrophes, Abbreviations, Numerals, Italics, Underlining, and Quotation Marks.
31. Punctuation II/Commas, Colons, Semicolons, Parentheses, Brackets, Hyphens, Dashes, and Slashes.
Appendix A: Spelling of Selected Culinary Terms.
Appendix B: Commonly Misused Words.
Appendix C: Types of Writing.
Appendix D: Annotated Research Paper.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's Culinary CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Culinary CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!Cengage Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access (ISBN-10: 128598059X | ISBN-13: 9781285980591)
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Culinary CourseMate includes: An interactive eBook with highlighting, note taking and an interactive glossary and Interactive learning tools, including: Quizzes, Flashcards, Videos, and more!