Introduction to Horticultural Science, 2nd Edition
- Richard N. Arteca
- ISBN-10: 1111312796
- ISBN-13: 9781111312794
- 576 Pages | Hardcover
- Previous Editions: 2006
- COPYRIGHT: 2015 Published
Ideal for any introductory course in horticulture science, the Second Edition of INTRODUCTION TO HORTICULTURAL SCIENCE covers everything your students need to know in a comprehensive format that is easy to understand. With topics ranging from gene jockeying to flower arranging, this text provides students with a full appreciation of the wonderful world of horticultural science. Coverage includes critical topics such as fundamental concepts, cutting edge research, careers in horticulture, the relationship between horticulture and the environment, classification of plants, and plant anatomy. Students are also introduced to key concepts including plant propagation, media, nutrients and fertilizers, plants and the environment, plant growth regulators, post harvest physiology and pest management, greenhouse structures, nursery site selection, development and facilities, producing nursery crops, and floral design. Through enhanced visual aids and the inclusion of recent trends in the field, the second edition has been designed to peak student interest and improve student understanding.
1. The Green Plant, What an Organism.
2. Origin and Domestication of Plants.
3. The Horticulture Industry: An Important Part of Agriculture.
4. Fundamental Steps Leading to Success in a Horticulture Career.
5. The Relationship between Horticulture and the Environment.
6. Classification of Plants and Plant Anatomy.
7. Plant Propagation.
8. Media, Nutrients and Fertilizers.
9. Plants and Environment.
10. Plant Growth Regulators.
11. Post Harvest Physiology.
12. Pest Management.
13. Plant Biotechnology and Genetically Modified Organisms: An Overview.
14. Greenhouse Structures.
15. Growing Crops in the Greenhouse.
16. Producing Nursery Crops.
17. Factors to Consider in Establishing Horticultural Operations.
18. Floral Design.
20. Designing Landscapes.
21. Installing Landscapes.
22. Landscape Maintenance.
23. Warm- and Cool Season Turfgrass.
25. Pomology: Fruit and Nut Production.
26. Organic Agriculture.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the Main title.
Please see Main title page for new to this edition information.
The instructor companion website includes slides created in Microsoft Powerpoint® to accompany each chapter along with answers to the end of chapter review questions.