Equine Health and Emergency Management, 1st Edition
- Bonny Henderson
- ISBN-10: 1418065676
- ISBN-13: 9781418065676
- 416 Pages | Paperback
- COPYRIGHT: 2012 Published
Recognizing and quickly reacting to emergencies involving a horse are critical to its well being and survival. Equine Health and Emergency Management provides essential knowledge in all aspects of the emergent care of horses. The book begins by emphasizing the importance of horsemanship in the prevention of injury and disease. Facility safety and stable management are key factors in prevention, as is a thorough understanding and knowledge of the healthy horse, broodmare, and foal. Once this essential knowledge base is achieved the book progresses to discussion of preparing for and managing emergencies. Assessment and treatment skills are addressed. Then diseases and trauma of each body system are covered outlining the clinical signs, vital signs, history or possible causes, actions to take, and prevention strategies for each. The book concludes by addressing the assessment, planning, and preparation needs when faced with a manmade or natural disaster. No horse owner or veterinary professional specializing in the care of horses should be without Equine Health and Emergency Management.
Part I: HORSEMANSHIP.
1. Facility Safety.
2. Stable Management.
3. Management of the Healthy Horse.
4. The Healthy Broodmare and Foal.
Part II: MANAGEMENT OF EQUINE EMERGENCIES.
5. Preparing for Emergencies.
6. Assessment of Pain, Wounds, and Bleeding.
7. Treatment Skills.
8. Allergic Reactions.
9. Cardiovascular Emergencies.
10. Dermatological Emergencies.
11. Gastrointestinal Emergencies.
12. Metabolic Emergencies Leading to Collapse.
13. Musculoskeletal Emergencies.
14. Neonatal Emergencies.
15. Neurological Emergencies.
16. Ocular Emergencies.
17. Reproductive Emergencies.
18. Respiratory Emergencies.
19. Toxin and Poisons.
Part III: DISASTER PREPAREDNESS.
20. Preparing for Disasters.