Foundations of Respiratory Care, 2nd Edition
- includes Studyware
- Kenneth A. Wyka
- Paul J. Mathews
- John Rutkowski
- ISBN-10: 1435469844
- ISBN-13: 9781435469846
- 1152 Pages | Hardcover
- Previous Editions: 2002
- COPYRIGHT: 2012 Published
The field of respiratory care continues to change and grow. New research, therapies, and theories are continually emerging. FOUNDATIONS OF RESPIRATORY CARE, SECOND EDITION is written by leading authorities who have hands on, practical knowledge of the latest innovations and applications for care. Chapters cover timely topics such as the increasing population of elderly patients and the need for managing mass casualty incidents and disasters. Difficult topic areas such as interpretation of ventilator graphics, pharmacology, and hemodynamics are presented in a manner that allows for ease of comprehension and application of the concepts. The education of respiratory therapists is moving toward a problem-based learning model. FOUNDATIONS OF RESPIRATORY CARE, SECOND EDITION captures that model through the integration of case studies throughout the reading to reinforce and fine tune problem solving and decision-making skills. The most current AARC clinical practice guidelines are referenced throughout to once again help bridge that gap between classroom and real world application of concepts.
Part I: ITS SCOPE OF PRACTICE.
1. The History and Scope of Respiratory Care.
2. The Legal and Ethical Practice of Respiratory Care.
Part II: THE APPLIED SCIENCES.
3. Applied Physics.
4. Applied Chemistry.
5. Applied Microbiology.
6. Cardiopulmonary Anatomy and Physiology.
8. Obstructive Lung Diseases.
9. Restrictive Lung Diseases.
10. Diffuse Lung Diseases.
11. Cardiovascular Diseases.
Part III: ESSENTIAL DIAGNOSTICS.
12. Hx, Assessment & Documentation.
13. Radiologic Examination of the Chest.
14. Fundamental Clinical Laboratory Studies.
15. Arterial Blood Gas Analysis and Non-Invasive Measurements of O2 and CO2.
16. Pulmonary Function Testing.
17. Sleep Medicine: Dx and Tests.
18. Cardiovascular Testing and Hemodynamic Measurements.
Part IV: ESSENTIAL THERAPEUTICS.
19. Oxygen and Medical Gas Therapy.
20. Humidity and Aerosol Therapy.
21. Hyperinflation Therapy.
22. Pulmonary Hygiene and CPT.
23. Airway Management.
24. Physiology of Mechanical Ventilation.
25. Mechanics & Modes of Mechanical Ventilation.
26. Initiating, Monitoring & D/C Mech. Ventilation.
27. Noninvasive Mechanical Ventilation.
Part V: LEVELS OF DELIVERY.
28. Neonatal and Pediatric Applications.
29. Geriatric Applications.
30. Emergency Medicine & Rapid Response.
31. Emergency Preparedness.
32. Adult Critical Care.
33. Subacute Care.
34. Long-Term Care.
35. Home Care.
36. Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation.
37. Patient Transport in Respiratory Care.
Part VI: RESPIRATORY CARE: ASSORTED APPLICATIONS.
38. Protecting the Patient and Health Care Provider.
39. Health Promotion.
40. Education: Patient, Professional & Community Management and Computer
41. Applications in Respiratory Care.
42. Management of Respiratory Care Services.
43. Non-Traditional Roles of the RT.
Appendix A: Abbreviations.
Appendix B: Routes for Entry-Level and Registry-Level Practice.
Appendix C: Selected Diagnostic Studies.
Appendix D: ABGs: Normal Values.
Appendix E: Characteristics of Adventitious Breath Sounds.