OF THE BC
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS
Under One Sun K–8
Under One Sun invites students and teachers to connect with First Peoples history, culture, and perspectives. This new series aims to support the development of educated citizens so they can gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Aboriginal perspectives and ways of knowing.
Under One Sun invites students and teachers to connect with First Peoples history, culture, and perspectives. This new series offers contemporary First Peoples content using a balanced literacy approach that provides rich opportunities for modelled, shared, guided and independent reading, and viewing. Under One Sun aims to support the development of educated citizens so they can gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Aboriginal perspectives and ways of knowing.
• Offers read-aloud, shared reading, and levelled reading selections to help students develop reading, listening, viewing, writing, speaking, and representing skills
• Equips students with language and literacy skills for success in school, community, career, and life
• Written and illustrated by Aboriginal authors and artists, Under One Sun builds student awareness, understanding, and respect of First Peoples perspectives and experiences in Western Canada
• Provides unique content through a blend of print and digital formats offering new and engaging learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of BC students
Under One Sun Components
Comprehensive support for teaching English Language Arts curriculum with a focus on Aboriginal content, perspectives, and principles of learning.
The Teacher’s Resource includes:
• Read-Aloud Selection
• Lesson Plans
• Blackline Masters
• Background Information
Online Teaching Centre
Digital resources with multimedia assets developed to bring content to life and immerse students in the culture of contemporary Aboriginal communities.
The Online Teaching Centre includes:
• Shared Reading Selection
• Launch Video
• Professional Development Videos
• Audio Recordings
• Blackline Masters
• Image Bank
Guided and Independent Reading Selections
- Six levelled selections that explore Aboriginal themes of identity, Mother Earth, and relationships.Guided and Independent Reading selections are offered in age-appropriate formats:
• Kindergarten–Grade 3: Little Books
• Grades 4–6: 4-page cards
• Grades 7–8: 8-page magazines